- Cryptococcosis is treated with Flucytosine, Ambisome for 2 weeks of Induction, and the Fluconazole for maintenance
- Include Bacillary angiomatosis on the differential for Kaposi’s Sarcoma
- Fungal infections can be due to Yeasts, Molds, or Dimorphic Fungi
- Yeast: Think Single Celled Organisms, Candida and Cryptococcus
- Mold: Think Filamentous with Hyphae. Aspergillus, Mucor
- Dimorphic Fungi: Can be both yeast or molds depending on the Temperature. Includes Histo, blasto, cocci
- We didn’t get to this today, but here is a framework for organizing anti-fungal medications!
The Chief Residents' Blog